Wednesday, October 10, 2012

CINNAMON CRUSTED PORK CHOPS WITH APPLES & SAGE

Did anyone else grow up eating Pork Chops & Applesauce? This was a big hit in my house – I LOVED dipping my thin cut pork chop into my mom’s homemade cinnamon applesauce. I can hear her saying in a goofy voice when asked, "What's for dinner?" She'd say, “Pork Chaaaps and Applesaucccce”.

Reflections like this make me smile. I had NO interest in cooking at a young age. It amazes me how mom was able to influence me in the kitchen as much as she did. She’s probably equally amazed that I enjoy cooking and write a food blog!!

I took mom’s version of ‘Pork Chaaaps and Applesaucccce’ and dressed it up a bit by adding sweet Cinnamon, tart Apples and fresh savory Sage. Make yourself a list of the following ingredients and head on out to the market! This meal takes 15-20 minutes to prepare and sure to be a crowd pleaser! Enjoy!

GROCERY LIST
3 Apples
3 Shallots
5 TBSP Coconut Oil
2 TBSP Chopped Fresh Sage
Cinnamon
Salt
5 Large Bone-In Pork Chops (My Mom just blessed us with chops from her pig. Natural. Local. Free. Delish!!)
¼ C White Wine


Slice Apples – I’m always a fan of knowing what I’m eating. I typically slice, dice and chop on the larger side of things. If you have small children or prefer smaller pieces, by all means slice, dice & chop to your liking!


Thinly slice Shallots.


Chop Sage. I used Organic Sage from my herb garden I planted in the Spring – yes, it’s still alive & growing!!


Melt 4 TBSP of Coconut Oil in a large fry pan over Medium heat. Add Apples, Shallots and Sage. Sauté for 5 min. Remove Apple Sauté from pan and set aside.



Show your Chops some love, rub a generous amount of Cinnamon & Salt onto both sides.


Melt the remanding 1 TBSP Coconut Oil in the fry pan.

 
Place your Chops in fry pan.
 

Sear on both sides for 2 minutes.



Measure out ¼ White Wine.


Pour White Wine over Chops. Allow sauce to come to a boil – this will cook all the alcohol out.



Add the Apple Sauté back to the fry pan, over the Pork Chops.



Cover, turn heat down to Low. Let cook for 7 minutes (give or take, depending on thickness of meat).


I served these scrumptious Chops with AmaZing Asparagus (http://www.columbian.com/weblogs/paleo-in-a-pinch/2012/jun/27/amazing-asparagus/).


For more recipes and tips follow my blog at http://www.columbian.com/weblogs/paleo-in-a-pinch/ and find me on Facebook.

From my kitchen, to yours …. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment