I went on strike and prepared nothing for breakfast. That’s right. Nothing. We each fended for ourselves and headed out the door. Lucky for Jude, he’d slept over at friend’s houses – he got breakfast.
Fast forward a couple hours, we arrive back at home – still eggless. And very hungry. Don’t panic – Paleo in a Pinch has got ya covered. Within the hour, we sat down to a breakfast that my oldest daughter Trinity declared, “Tastes like Lapella!” Before I ever even took a bite, I knew I was in for a treat.
GROCERY LIST2 sugarloaf squash (or delicata)
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
4 kale leaves, de-stemmed and chopped
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 lbs. ground chicken sausage
1 cup fresh blueberries
½ cup pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp. sage, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 apple, chopped (I used a tart granny smith)
1) Wash squash, cut in half (skin is edible). Scrape seeds out and bake in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 45 minutes.
2) In a large fry pan, sauté onion, green pepper, kale and garlic in olive oil over medium heat 3-5 minutes.
3) Add sausage, blueberries, maple, parsley, sage, salt and both peppers. Break sausage into small pieces and stir fry 10 minutes, or until sausage is cooked through.
4) Add apple and cook 2 minutes more.
5) To serve: place squash on plate and fill with chicken mixture.
Life. It comes at ya and sometimes we’re not prepared. It reminds me of a fortune cookie I once read, “You can’t stop the tide, but you can learn to surf.”
From my kitchen, to yours…. Enjoy!