Saturday, November 3, 2012

Caramelized Beef Brisket


Crisis was diverted tonight…. Fewww!!  Earlier in the day, I went to unwrap what I thought was half-thawed bone-in pork chops.  Turns out what I was thawing were two slabs of 100% grass-fed beef brisket.
 Alrighty then. 
Having never cooked a beef brisket in my life, I did what any reasonable housewife would do.  I Googled it.  Turns out these bad boys cook for a while …. A long while.  Arggg….

Whatever.  I set my oven to a low temp roast, sliced up an onion and a shallot, laid them in the bottom of a pan and topped with seasoned half-thawed briskets.  Here goes somethin’.

Five and a half hours later…. I made somethin’ outa nothin’ alright!! 
I love when that happens.



GROCERY LIST

3lbs. 100% grass-fed beef brisket
1 onion, sliced
1 large shallot, sliced
1tsp. each of dried basil, chili powder, coriander, oregano, parsley
salt and pepper
2 cups chicken broth
½ cup red wine

Cooking Instructions

1)      In a roasting pan, layer sliced onion and shallot.

2)      Season briskets on both sides.

3)      Roast, uncovered in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 90 minutes

4)      Add chicken broth and wine, cover with a lid.  Turn oven temp down to 325 degrees and roast 3.5 hours.

5)      Every 30 minutes, baste with broth and wine, turning a few times while cooking.  Broth and wine will evaporate, turning into a glaze.

6)      Serve with your favorite side of veggies.

7)      My husband busted out a blend of paleo friendly ketchup and siriacha to dip the brisket in.  I have to say, it was pretty darn good.

 

I’ve said it before -- I’ll say it again, some of my best recipes come from tossing in what I have on hand.  Isn’t that the way cooking should be?  Utilizing what we have.  Yes.  Yes, I think so.

From my kitchen, to yours… Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment